ADVIT “Europe without Borders” in partnership with “MilleniuM” Training and Development Institute are implementing the 6 months project “Let’s EXplore Intercultural Competence with YOU(th)” in October 2016. The main goal of this project is to increase capacities of young Moldovans to promote and facilitate intercultural education as facilitators in order to contribute to building inclusive societies. The project consists of 5 integrated learning phases: Residential ToT, Practical experience in designing, running and evaluating the ADVIT Youth Club editions, Ongoing e-Learning, On-going mentoring, Follow-up phase through Evaluation seminar. The “approach” of the project is focused on developing specific practical skills for young people to act as facilitators, focusing on intercultural education and work in intercultural settings and it will make use of the richness of experiential learning and non-formal education in general. The target audience are young people from Moldova (aged 18 -30) that would like to work in intercultural settings and need to develop in-depth skills as facilitators in intercultural education.
- To develop competences of facilitators in non-formal education focused on designing and facilitating Intercultural learning and to put them in practice with young people in Chisinau in framework of the “ADVIT Youth club”;
- To empower young people to act as multipliers of Intercultural learning;
- To develop practical skills in intercultural education and create social environments valuing diversity and conducive to dialogue and understanding among communities;
The “approach” of the project will be focused on developing specific practical skills for young people to act as facilitators, focusing on intercultural education and work in intercultural settings and it will make use of the richness of experiential learning and non-formal education in general. The target audience are young people from Moldova (aged 18 -30) that would like to work in intercultural settings and need to develop in-depth skills as facilitators in intercultural education.
The project is structured into 5 integrated learning phases:
- Residential ToT with 9 days duration modul that includes the following topics:
- Getting to know each other; Expectations, motivation, approach, methodology, programme; Team-building activities
- Defining Culture; Identity and its complexity; Stereotypes vs. Prejudices; Discrimination vs. Oppression
- Intercultural Dialog – Distinguish Terminology; Mechanism of Inclusion (Workshop)
- Training Basics – Concepts & Approaches. Opening discussion/ brainstorming on the topic: Different understanding of learning/ education
- Group dynamics and planning of learning process
- Training Basics – Educational Programme Design including Youth club editions
- Splitting Working Groups for Training Development and Educational Programme Design; Session Development; Presentation
- Practice your skills – Implementation of worked out tools & reflection and feed-back
- Ethics of trainer of non-formal learning and ICL
- Principles of programme building and planning of non-formal learning activities within CoE educational programme – quality criteria
- Available resources / European Youth Foundation – brief outline
- Visit to a youth centre
- Planning futures steps in the project; Evaluation
- Practical experience in designing, running and evaluating the ADVIT Youth Club editions whose activities are based on the following tenets:
- Intercultural – Through intercultural practice ADVIT Youth Club aims to bring young people together in purposeful, mutually beneficial activities that promote greater understanding and respect between cultures and contributes to building communities that are more cohesive. It aims also at bringing together international volunteers and Moldovan youth, thus favoring intercultural learning and the exchange of different ideas and perspectives. ADVIT Youth Club initiatives fall into three categories, supporting each other, working together to address community issues, and learning together.
- Active Citizenship – ADVIT Youth Club embraces the principles of Active Citizenship and this philosophy is integral to all our work. Young people are encouraged and supported to involve themselves within the community and engage in volunteering. All projects are youth led, gaining inspiration from the young people themselves and through service delivery young people learn, understand each other’s differences and to respect one another.
- Social Action – ADVIT Youth Club encourages social action supporting young people to work together to effect change both in their lives and within the community, raising funds for issues they feel passionate about and organizing practical tasks.Participants will be divided in group of 2 people and with the support of the mentors and international volunteers from ADVIT will design, run and evaluate 2 editions of ADVIT Youth Club. (Total during project edition 15 pairs x 1 editions = 15 editions). We are planning to involve representatives of the Ministry of Youth and Sport to this editions Youth club edition represents a 3 hours activity (workshop, lectures followed by workshops, small trainings, and other activities); The Youth club editions are partly organized by local young people and international volunteers. Participants of this project will be proposing their own topics and ways of running the Youth club editions, then preparing it (including logistics) then run it and preparation of the reports. They will do it in cooperation with international volunteers and one of the trainers. We would like to involve Ministry of Youth and Sport in the preparation of topics, spreading information about the Youth club scheduled editions and inviting their representatives as speakers, experts, participants.
- Ongoing e-Learning: at the beginning of every month participants will identify most interested topic for them to learn this month. Facilitators’ team then prepare e-learning materials, including different relevant books, articles, TED-talks; organize online meetings with experienced trainers and experts on the selected topic.
- Ongoing mentoring with one of the course trainers as mentor. Every participant will be allocated a mentor who will support learning projects of the participant though out all the project. Mentor will be an experienced trainer in intercultural education. Each participant will have a mentor talk each month.
- Follow-up phase through Evaluation seminar (4 days) which is dedicated to evaluating, taking stock, looking forward and closing. Participants will get the chance to reflect on specific aspects of practical experience with Youth Club editions together with the others in the group. Furthermore, the seminar will provide the opportunity to reflect on the individual learning paths throughout the year and to re-visit some training topics. Last but not least it will facilitates the exit from the course and the entry into the next steps of the development as a trainer.
The following work packages will be also parts of the project:
- Preparation for the project activities
- Mid term evaluation of the project.
- Final evaluation of the project.
Project promotion and dissemination of results will be done through:
- creation of the image and logo of the project;
- creation of the web page of the project that will serve as a learning platform during and after project implementation;
- creation of the Facebook page of the project;
- communication of the project results to local and international media and at the web pages and newsletters of ADVIT and “MilleniuM” Training and Development Institute