- Organisation: ICYE Finland
- Project name: Dagtek serviceenhet
- Location: Ekenäs, Finland
- Deadline for application: 13th of February
- Project dates: 15th of April 2020 – 14th of April 2021 (12 months)
- Number of volunteers: 1
ABOUT DAGTEK SERVICEENHET
Dagtek serviceenhet (community) is a part of Kårkulla samkommun (federation of municipalities), which offers services for intellectually disabled persons with learning disabilities or autistic spectrum disorders. The activities Dagtek offers are divided into several sections that all focus on different areas. The participants in the LO (Livsorienterad verksamhet in Swedish) life skills activities need a lot of guidance and support in their daily activities. The LO activities take place in small groups consisting of 2–4 people and are always planned according to the condition, interests and needs of the participants. About 20 people take part in the LO activities daily, some of them participating also in the activities of the arts & crafts workshop Dagtek facilitates. Dagtek’s daily activities consist of, for example, music, arts and crafts, painting, different games and going outside for walks. The goal is to encourage every participant to be active, get involved, make their own decisions and affect the content of their daily lives, taking into consideration every participant’s individual starting points.
- Location: Dagtek is located in Ekenäs (Tammisaari in Finnish). Ekenäs is a small town of about 15 000 inhabitants and it is situated by the sea in the Southern Finland. The majority language is Swedish (81%) and only about 17% of the population speak Finnish. Ekenäs is a part of the Raseborg commune (28 000 inhabitants). Dagtek is located in the centre of the town.
- Volunteer’s role and tasks: Through ESC volunteer cooperation, Dagtek wishes to offer its community members a possibility to build networks and get a wider perspective on the world around us. At the same time, we hope to have one more person to be present for our clients and assist in the daily activities and in social and practical situations during the day. The volunteer’s role in the LO activities is to support and give guidance, but also help in the clients’ daily activities related to meal times, going to the toilet and walks outside, as well as walking the clients to and from their car transportation when they arrive and leave Dagtek. According to their skills and interests, the volunteer can also organize activities for small groups or individually. Dagtek values different creative activities such as music, arts and dancing. Dagtek’s clients also appreciate, for example, having a possibility to bake together with the volunteer every now and then. The volunteer can also contribute in the production of pedagogic and photographic materials and the documentation of Dagtek’s activities through photographing, for example.
- Volunteer’s requirements: It is important that the volunteer is socially active, flexible and motivated to participate in the community life as being there for the participants, being social, talking with the people, and bringing up their ideas to the colleagues and mentors. Dagtek hopes that they can receive a volunteer interested in working with adults (18–60-year-olds) who have developmental disorders. Dagtek also wishes that the volunteer has good social skills and is open to meeting new people. The voluntary workplace appreciates flexibility and a positive outlook on life and other people. It is also important that the volunteer is able to tolerate fast-changing situations. Experiences or skills in alternative communication methods are an advantage, but not a requirement. If you feel like you have the ability to motivate and encourage people and awaken their interest in participating and being active, you are a good match for Dagtek’s team! The working language of Dagtek is Swedish, so it is important that the volunteer is motivated to learn Swedish.
- Accessibility: The workplace unfortunately does not have resources to offer support for volunteers with physical, sensory or other disabilities. If you feel you would be able to carry out the volunteering tasks rather independently but are unsure if the position would be suitable for you, please contact us for consultation before sending the application.
- Accommodation and practical arrangements: The volunteer is accommodated in a host family. Lunch will be provided at Dagtek together with their participants and the team. Other meals are provided by the host family.
- Website of the organisation: www.karkulla.fi/
Apply by sending us your CV and Motivation letter (with the subject of your email as “ESC Dagtek”) by 13th of February on firstname.lastname@example.org
For any questions feel free to contact us