We are looking for a Moldovan volunteer to Cae Tan, Wales!
Duration: from 1st April 2019 – 30th November 2019 (8 months)
Place: Gower peninsula in South Wales, United Kingdom
About the project:
The majority of work will take place at our main site, which is a small field in the heart of The Gower Peninsula. It is fairly close to a local population & walking distance from Three cliffs bay, one of the best beaches in Wales. The field has the feeling of privacy & wilderness as ancient oak trees surround it. We have another field where we grow our winter crops which is based on the north side of the peninsula overlooking the Loughor estuary.
On a weekly basis we transport all of our produce to a hub at the Gower Heritage Centre, where we have a packing shed & meeting space. This is our chance to meet our members on a weekly basis & have a social whilst they collect their produce.
Day to day work is sociable as we have a good team of staff & regular volunteers. The Gower Peninsula is a beautiful location, where people are very welcoming. There’s always lots going on in the way of events & social gatherings.
The ESC volunteer would work alongside our growers & trainee grower on the main site, second field & at the Gower Heritage centre Hub. They would be involved in all aspects of the CSA, which incorporate the following;
- Seed sowing, ground preparation, planting, pest management, harvesting.
- Maintenance of structures, fencing, construction of polytunnel etc
- Packing & hosting the hub where produce is collected
- Assisting in educational activities, such as school visits
Cae Tan is looking for volunteers with an interest in agriculture and community growing. Experience of working on a farm may be useful but is not our foremost criteria. The projects hosted by Cae Tan are open to all young people, regardless of background, competences and experience.
The projects hosted by Cae Tan is open to all young people aged 18 – 30, regardless of background, competences and experience. Volunteers ideally will:
- Have an interest in agriculture and community growing
- Have experienced work with and/ or have an interest in working in a community based agriculture scheme
- Have a good level of English and a commitment to improving their English (to be able to get the most from the placement)
- Be flexible and adaptable to change
- Be reliable
- Have a willingness to develop projects and pieces of work according to interests.
ESC volunteers will be staying in accommodation at the Gower Heritage Centre in Parkmill or hosted at one of our members houses. Either way they will be based in a sociable environment close to the coast & a 30 minute bus ride from the centre of town.
They will receive their allowance for food and pocket money into their UK bank account once it is set up.
Things you should know:
Whilst the project is in a rural area, we are close to a town (Swansea). There are good bus links both into town & further out onto the peninsula (but only certain times a day). Your accommodation will be shared with our UK trainee.
Interested candidates are asked to send their CV and Motivation letter to email@example.com with the subject “Volunteering in Wales”
Deadline for application: 21/12/2018